The Homicide Investigation Service (HIS) is an interspecies organisation in Alienation which practises the investigation of homicides against members of the species that help make up the organisation.
- HIS: Homicide Investigation Service - The organisation's name abbreviated, standard in all legal documentation.
- RD: Reptiloid - The division (species) investigating the homicide reduced to one or two letters if possible, or under a joint effort it is the species of the individual leading the investigation.
- KELEK: Kelek - The planet involved in the investigation, abbreviation is only necessary if the planet's full name is over 6 characters in length.
- Z8: Common individual(s), multiple related homicides between 11 and 100 and contained to a local complex - See Homicide Ranking for more details.
- 4287: 4,287th case - The case number relative to the planet in question and the severity of the crime.
The homicide ranking has two forms of classification:
- The value of the victim(s) in question.
- The number of victims involved or the scale of the case.
- X: High-value victim
- Y: Uncommon victim
- Z: Common victim
Scale of homicide:
- 0: Planetary-wide massacre
- 1: Region-wide massacre
- 2: Large-scale, urban massacre
- 3: Mid-scale, urban massacre
- 4: Small-scale, urban massacre
- 5: Localised massacre, over 500 individuals
- 6: Localised massacre, between 101 and 500 individuals
- 7: Localised massacre, between 11 and 100 individuals
- 8: Multiple homicides, between 2 and 10 individuals
- 9: Single homicide